In Loving Memory of Simone Gauthier,
August 26th, 1915 - February 18th, 2008

Monday, March 28, 2011

Successful LED install


This is my first, successful LED install and I wanted to share it because I am proud of it. This is practice for installing LEDs in my 4 or 5 locos...

I'm sorry that I didn't bother to take progress photos.

Pics and a little more info after the jump..







The chrome front of the truck is plastic. I drilled holes through the molded headlights and then filed the holes square and filled them with hot-glue.
Light sources are 0603 white and were purchased on EBay. The two LEDs are wired in parallel using 30AWG wire and powered directly from a CR2032 coin-cell with no resistors at all, for the time being.
the LEDs are glued directly to the inside of the hot-glue "lenses" with another dab of hot-glue.

Eventually a battery will be put in the trailer and the trailer hitch will be replaced with a "headphone" jack and plug so the turn and trailer can swivel without breaking wires.

I am sure plenty of it was done "wrong" but this was for practice, not caring about the end result. I think it is a pretty good end result for a first try with crude materials :)

Michael.

No comments: